History of Saint David’s
What is now known as Saint David’s United Church has a long and interesting history, and had its humble beginnings in the waiting room of the local railway station in 1860, where everyone met for worship.
In the fall of 2005, we celebrated the 145th anniversary of the congregation, and it was a great time, indeed!
There have been two histories written, the first by George Robinson; and just at the end of 2005, a major volume entitled “Not By Bread Alone – The Story of Saint David’s United Church of Rothesay, N.B. 1860-2000” by David Goss. It is filled with some historical details, notes on the town of Rothesay, and anecdotes of a number of people from the congregation.
The last history is available at the church office, and is worth the read.
The small congregation of 1860, over the years, grew to the point that in 1951, it became the Rothesay/Quispamsis Pastoral Charge. They worshipped together with one minister until 1979. At that time, growth was such that Quispamsis and Saint David’s became separate charges, each with their own minister.
Also, in 1951, extensive renovations were required to improve the original structure that was built in 1888. The improvements included a concrete basement and completion of the chancel which transformed a hall into a church of its present New England style.
Later, in 1960, the year of the 100th anniversary, construction was begun for a Christian Education building. In 1988 the two buildings, the church sanctuary and the Christian Education building were connected, and what you see now is the result of that ambitious project.
Saint David’s has a beautiful sanctuary and very good facilities that are well kept and meticulously maintained.